Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Year Ago Today

A year ago today our lives changed when my water broke at 32 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I wrote this post that day and blogged pretty much daily through the next 7 days of my hospital bedrest and throughout Reed's NICU stay.

So many emotions run through me when I think about this time last year. I was scared because our baby was so far from his due date. I was surprised. I mean, who expects their water to break just in the middle of the day while you're at work doing the same thing you do 5 days a week? I was excited. We didn't know the gender of our baby and I was possibly VERY close to meeting him/her!

The whole experience was surreal. It felt dream like. I felt like I was being silly sitting in the doctor's office. I really thought they would tell me to quit peeing on myself and go back to work. But they didn't. They told me to go check in at L&D and that I could possibly be there for up to 4 weeks before I had the baby. Brad was in Louisiana so my dad was with me. I remember getting hooked up to the monitors and finding out I was having contractions every 3 minutes. I remember nearly passing out after they started my IV. I remember getting steroid shots that hurt like the dickens. I remember being so glad when Brad finally arrived. I remember being giddy after getting stadol and phenergan to help ease the pain of the contractions that night.

Most of all, I remember quiet time with God. Some friends from church were at a Beth Moore event in Memphis and they were praying for me. Friends of my parents in Russia were praying for me. Friends across the country were praying for me. I remember waking up around 6 the next morning and feeling like God's arms were wrapped around me and that someone was praying for me right then. It was amazing. God had gotten my attention. I believe he had been preparing me for this time.

Throughout the pregnancy I had several dreams about our baby. I had six dreams we had a boy. In three of those dreams he was born early. In two of those three I met him in the NICU. I only had one dream I had a girl. A couple of weeks before I ended up in the hospital I had a very specific feeling that we would have a baby early. Will was 3 weeks early and I always felt he would be born before his due date and I felt the same way with Reed's pregnancy. But this feeling was different. I felt like we would have a preterm baby. It really shook me up but I dismissed the feeling and told myself I was being silly. I feel like God was trying to say "Hey Sarah! You're going to have a BOY! And he will be early!" I guess if we have a third child I will pay more attention to those things!

Even though this time last year wasn't particularly fun, I would do it over again in a heartbeat. I met some wonderful people and made new friends. And of course Reed was worth every minute of it! I am so thankful for good medical care and an attentive doctor and nurses. Because of what they did, Reed was able to stay inside me for 7 more days. I will forever be grateful to my doctor and nurses and to God for performing the miracles He did.

No comments: