Wednesday, June 18, 2008

G is for Gooey Cake (aka Chess Squares)

These are really sweet and really yummy. The recipe was given to me by my 'Aunt' Melinda who was my mom's best friend since they were teenagers. She passed away 2 summers ago after battling many health issues. I think about her often and especially when I make these. They are a crowd pleaser and so easy!

1 butter cake mix
1 stick butter, melted
3 eggs
1 1lb box powdered sugar
1 8oz block cream cheese, softened
zest of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 9x13 pan with cooking or baking spray (I use butter flavored in a glass pan). Mix together dry cake mix, melted butter and 1 egg to form soft dough. Spread evenly in pan, pressing against edges. Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Add in 2 eggs and lemon zest, mixing gently. Pour over 1st layer. Allow to sit a minute for any bubbles to rise out of 2nd layer. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown and flaky on top. Cool at least 30 minutes before cutting (1 hour is better, but 30 minutes if you just can't wait). Cut into about 28 squares. Keeps for several days in a airtight container.

3 comments:

Jason and Leigha said...

Isn't it wonderful to have great recipes passed down to you? These look very yummy. I will have to make these soon. :) Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie Kelley said...

We had these at vacation Bible school this year and they added a bag of heath bar toffee chips to them. They were so good that I had to make some the next week!

Sarah Sharp said...

Hmm... I hadn't thought about adding anything to them. I might have to try that next time!